Saturday, October 12, 2013

Herbs

A client of mine asked for a list of herbs and with what foods they go best.  I thought that was an interesting request as I usually just "wing it" and cook with whatever is sitting on my counter.  So, I did a little research because, let's face it, that's what I do, and I came up with the following list. 

Here are a few of the more popular herbs.  The big thing to remember is the dried herbs are more concentrated, so you would use less dried than fresh.  I tried to put not only types of foods, but also flavors and health benefits for the ones I knew.  Feel free to add suggestions.

Sage:  pine-like with lemon and eucalyptus notes; may preserve memory and soothe sore throats; good for poultry
Thyme:  pungent, woodsy flavor; good for meat, poultry, cooked vegetables, as part of a rub on fish (salmon), and eggs
Parsley:  mainly a garnish and palate cleanser (when fresh); may help inhibit breast cancer-cell growth; good for meatballs and meatloaf or as a garnish for most any dish
Tarragon:  strong anise flavor; good for seafood, poultry, salads (fresh), tomato dishes, and eggs
Mint:  good for lamb, potatoes, and peas
Oregano:  blends well with basil; good for eggs, marinara sauce, and black bean soup
Basil:  blends well with oregano; good for pestos, pasta, and on sandwiches (fresh)
Dill Weed:  good on fish and potatoes
Rosemary:  strong and piney; may help enhance mental focus and fight food borne bacteria; good on eggs, beans, potatoes, grilled meats, and vegetables
Fennel Seed:  licorice-flavored; chew as breath freshener or as a digestive aid (fresh); good on meat
Chia Seeds:  ( I know, not an herb, but they are very healthy!) very subtle flavor; grind into smoothie, cereals, baked goods, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment