Saturday, July 21, 2012

Taking time for the Self

This weekend is the 2nd annual girls' weekend to Virginia Beach.  We took the time to do this last year, and it was so rejuvenating that we decided to make it an annual event.  However, this year it was difficult to pull away.  Things have really gotten busy at work with the new membership system being put in place.  School work has picked up as I come to the end of my senior year.  Recertifications are due for my personal training certificate, and I have to scramble for the remaining few CEC's.  My ex has a broken right leg and needs me to help transport children.  I am *really* busy right now.

One thing I have learned, though, is that when I am swamped both personally and professionally, it is important to build in time for the Self.  In the past, I would have cancelled my weekend away and worked through it.  I would then feel depleted emotionally and physically, and my batteries would never have that chance to recharge. 

However, if I give myself the chance to enjoy a weekend, even a rainy 48-hrs at the beach, then I come back on Monday fully recharged and ready to face the challenges of the week.  It is an important lesson:  Take the time to take care of the Self.  It is a lesson most of us ignore. 

Taking that time to recharge, to get away from it all for a day or two, is seen as an impossibility.  There is just not enough time.  There are too many things to do.  There are too many responsibilities.  It would be selfish to take the time for me when there is so much to do.

The thing is, it is not selfish.  It is actually a necessity.  The Self needs care and attention just like everything else in your life.  If you do not allow yourself the chance to relax and do things you enjoy, then you begin to grow resentful of those around you and the responsibilities that are pulling you away from what you want and need.

Taking these 48 hours at the beach is actually a necessity for my increased production at work and continued patience with my loved ones.  It helps me focus in school and on my clients.  It helps me stay healthy.  When is the last time you nurtured your Self?

No comments:

Post a Comment